Friday, April 18, 2008

Thursday, April 17, 2008.

Oriflamme Canyon to Scissor Crossing. 21 miles, 77 miles total.

I really wanted to go to the town of Julian, California, about 12 miles off the trial, so I got a very early start, just after 6:00 a.m. Glen wasn't so quick to get up, so I headed out alone.

It was a long day, but I think I did fairly well. I tried to hitch hike for about 45 minutes, and no one seemed interested in giving me a ride. An older couple were there with a horse. The husband is planning on riding the PCT on his horse starting in a few days, and they were going that direction, so they gave me a ride to Julian and dropped me off at a motel. It was great to talk with them, and I hope the will plan to come up to Oregon sometime so we can meet again. I'm sure he'll pass me on the trail at some point down.

I had a nice Beef Rib dinner and a slice of apple pie. This town is famous for it's apple pies. It's a fun town with lots of little shops.

I did have some bad news on the trail. Somewhere along the way, I lost one of my sandals. I was really disappointed. I was hoping that Glen might spot it and remember that it was mine, but he didn't see it, so I'm throwing the one I have away, and I'll try to buy a new pair somewhere down the trail.

I also saw Steve and Jane again. They were staying at the Julian Lodge also. They told me that there is a shuttle bus back to the PCT in the afternoon, so I'll plan to ride it with them back to the trail, and then hopefully hike an hour or two before camping for the night.

No comments: