Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday, May 29, 2015

The theme for today is to reduce my pack weight! As each day goes by, I seem to be adding more and more stuff to carry, or I remember something that I've forgotten to pack, and it's really adding up! A heavy pack will be lead to a 'less-than-happy camper,' as they say. So I've decided that I need to leave some things behind. Do I really need 4 pair of socks? Can I find a lighter container than the original container, to help reduce the weight? I didn't need the Advil bottle, as I was able to put them in a small zip-lock bag.
 
Here's another example ... I have a brand of toothpaste that I really like, and I had already packed the tube, but it's a large tube that was almost full (6.5 oz.), and I know I won't use the entire tube on this trip. I have a couple of smaller tubes of toothpaste (.85 oz.) that I got from my dentist, but I don't like the flavor at all. The simple solution to my problem was to empty out the smaller tube, and then re-fill it with the brand that I like. This seems like a lot of work, but it saved me about 1/4 pound (or more), and it also doesn't take up as much space in my pack. Every little bit helps.
 
I've also been going through some of my photos, and I'm cleaning some of my chips so I can take lots of pictures on this trip. I found this shot from 2012, and I thought I'd share it with you here.
 

In just a few more days, I'll be leaving Idaho for my big hike, and I'm getting very excited!

No comments: