Saturday, August 9, 2008

Friday, August 8, 2008

Zero Day in Ashland, Oregon.

What a wonderful, relaxing, restful day I had! First, I went for a very nice breakfast. This town has a lot of very nice restaurants to pick from! Next, I headed for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival ticket office, and was very lucky to obtain tickets for two plays: at 2:00 p.m. I saw "A view from the Bridge" in the Bowman Theatre, and at 8:30 p.m., I saw "Othello" in the Elizebathian Theatre. Both of these shows were excellent! I was also able to include a back stage tour earlier in the morning, and a free concert right before the evening play. I was a very good day, indeed.

My left knee is feeling much better today, and I'm ready to get back on the trail. Rather than going back to Dunsmuir, I'll stay here in Ashland and skip ahead about 200 trail miles, with the plan to come back to Ashland in October after I've reached the Canadian border to complete the part that I'm skipping. I've been told that the snow comes much later in the season here in this area, so I'm buying some time with this plan. It will also allow me to hiker shorter days and still complete the Washington and Oregon portion of the trail before the snow starts to fly in October.

I have a lot of things to due before I can get back on the trail here at Ashland: re-supply for the next part of the trail, send some food packages ahead for the parts of the trail that don't have decent stores near the trail, download my memory cards to CD's so I can take more pictures, and send my old backpack to Granite Gear. I'll do all that in the morning, and hope to be on my way to the trail head by noon or so.

If you every plan a trip to Ashland, Oregon, make sure you check out www.osfashland.org and plan to take in a play while you are here!




1 comment:

Francis said...

It's good to see that Steve is still going. I envy him. Not just seing America, but also able to take in such joys as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival along the way.

Many months back I chanced to meet him in - really! - La Mesa, California, a dull suburb of San Diego where you expect to meet only redneck fundamentalists and Hell's Angels. I noticed him because he wasn't like the locals and we got chatting.

I'm glad I met him and am pleased that he is able to live his life in a way that I might have done if I were luckier when younger.

Keep going, dude, wheel away those long miles and take lots more of your fine photographs.