Sunday, May 15, 2011

Friday, May 6, 2011

109 miles total, 10 miles today.

I left most of the items that were in my pack in a large garbage bag at the Front Desk of the resort and just took water and few snacks for the "slack-pack" 10 mile hike on the section of the trail from Barrel Springs to Warner Springs Ranch Resort.

I started at about noon, but it didn't take too long for a driver to stop and offer me a ride. They weren't going all the way that I needed to go, so at about the 1/2 point, I jumped out and crossed the street to start looking for my next ride. Before I could even get out of the first car, a second car had already pulled over to offer me a ride the rest of the way. I wasn't even exactly sure that I was headed in the right direction! I was frantically looking at the map to make sure it was the right way!

It was a very warm afternoon for hiking, and I only saw two other hikers for the entire 10 miles. Most people like to do this part of the trail early in the morning to avoid the heat.


This is Eagle Rock, and the rock formation looks like a large Eagle getting ready to take flight.


When I got back to the Ranch, I fully intended to get the rest of my things and continue on down the trail. However, from the gate, I could hear a lot of people at the Cantina, laughing and having a good time. It was close to dinner time, so I thought "OK, just go back in and enjoy a nice dinner before hiking."

Well, it was just too tempting not to stay another night! One of hikers offered to let me sleep on the floor of their room, so I decided to soak in the hot pool one more time and stay the night.

No comments: