Friday, January 25, 2008

Shipped my bike via FedEx


I made it to FedEx yesterday afternoon, just in time to make the last truck to Portland! My bike and some of my gear, packed in two medium sized boxes and one very large box, is on its way to Orlando. If all goes well, we'll both arrive there next Thursday!

There is still quite a lot to do before I can leave, though. I have to finish packing my apartment and get it all to the storage unit. I also have to sell my car, or decide exactly what I'm going to do with it.

Here's the link to the bike route I'll be using, thanks to Adventure Cycling Association: (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/southerntier.cfm). The route is called the Southern Tier Route, and it is divided into 7 sections, with a complete map for each section. You can click on the "overview" to the entire route over-layed on a small map of the USA, or you can click on "detail" of each of the seven sections to see some of the towns I'll be going through. I'll be starting the ride on Feb. 2, 2008 from St. Augustine, Florida, and will try to make it to San Diego, California by around April 1, 2008.
After taking a short break in San Diego, I'll work on getting my income tax forms completed and mailed, plus I'll pack up my bike and ship it back to Salem, where it will wait in storage until the next biking adventure! I’d like to take a short cruise to Mexico from San Diego ... depending on how much time I have and how I'm feeling!
Then, hopefully, somewhere near April 10th, I'll continue on my journey by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from Campo, California to Manning Provincial Park in Hope, BC, Canada.

Here's a link to a map of the trail: (http://www.morethanamile.com). While this map doesn’t show a lot of detail, it does give you a general idea about where the trail goes. I'm working on a list of towns and the likely date that I’ll be there for anyone that would like to send me mail. I’ll post it on this blog as soon as I have it completed. I'll be asking the post office in these towns for my mail (addressed to General Delivery) along the bike ride and along the hike. It would take too much time to stop at every post office, so wait until you see the list with the addressed and dates before you mail me anything.

Of course, you can always send me an e-mail or post a comment to this blog. While I'm on the bike ride, I'll be stopping from time to time at public libraries and internet cafe shops to log on and check for messages. I'd love to hear from you if you are following this journal.

There's only 6 days left until I leave for Orlando! Time is really starting to buzz by!

No comments: