Sunday, April 13, 2008

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Redland, CA to Costa Mesa, CA. 2977 to 3039. 62 miles total.

The path along the Santa Ana River was very nice. No road crossings, and even a little remote at times. There were a lot of people on the path, not only on bikes but on roller-blades, walking dogs, and that sort of thing. I felt fairly safe on the trail.

After about 15 miles on the trail, though, there was a missing link. I had to get out on surface streets and try to follow the path of the river. This was a real challange, to say the least. I hear that the local parks authority is trying to complete this trail, and once it is completed, it will be great, but right now, I wouldn't try riding it unless you had a really good map!

I picked up the trail again at Green River Golf Course, and from this point on to Hunnington Beach, the trail was very easy to follow again.

I was hoping to camp one last time on the bike trek, but I just couldn't find a decent place to put my tent. This is a fairly urban area, and I just didn't feel safe in a tent.

I was about 3 miles away from the beach, and it was starting to get dark, so I decided that I should get off the trail and find a motel. I stayed at a Vagabond Motel about 1 mile from the bike path, and had a nice dinner.

In the room next to mine was a Travel Rep from Alaska, and he had a booth set up at a local travel expo in Costa Mesa. We had a nice time talking about travel. I'd love to go and visit Alaska some day soon.

No comments: