Monday, February 4, 2008

Saturday, Feb 2, 2008

Daytona Beach, FL to Flagger Beach, FL - 18 miles, Mostly sunny, 75 degrees, some headwinds.

Carter drove me to Daytona Beach from Maitland, Florida. We ate a quick lunch, and then I was finally on the road, for real! I hope Carter remembered to fill up his Mom's car! Thanks again to the Hunt family for everything they did to get me started on my journey! I'm looking forward to being your host in Central Oregon in December!

I didn't want to go too far on my first day on the road, so I stopped in Flagger Beach for dinner at Cafe Cara. A very nice couple, Dan and Sharron Webster, were eating dinner there and they invited me to camp at their home site on the outskirts of town. What a great place. This is the view from my tent!



I turned in early at about 6:00 pm, and woke up at about 3:30 am, and decided to hit the road ... mostly to beat the traffic (heavy at times yesterday) and also to beat the wind. It was a beautiful morning, and the most un-believable sunrise coming out of the ocean. I bet most people around here never see the sunrise, which is a lot like the sunsets back in Oregon.

I slept too warm, and I wish I had my summer bag rather than my down bag. If the weather turns cold, I'm sure I'll be glad to have the warmer sleeping bag, but for now, every ounce of weight can be felt!

No comments: