Monday, February 18, 2008

Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008 - Happy Valentine's Day

Pensacola, FL to Bayou La Batre, AL. 80 miles, 658 total.

Part of these miles were on the ferry across Mobile Bay, so don't think that I'm a "super-biker-dude"!

It started out clear and cold today with a light wind. I got an eary start at 7 am - that's pretty unusual for me! Riding along in the same direction as me was a "snowbird" from Illinois named Tom. He lead me on a slight detour on a very nice bike path that ended up at a very large RV park full of people from a wide variety of Northern States and even Canada. It was a nice ride and nice to visit with him. He rode with me for almost an hour, even though he had a tee-time with some of his golfing friends. Thanks, Tom. We went past by a lot of large condo buildings, and lots of private beach homes. It was a nice area.

Then, as I was riding towards the Mobile Bay Ferry, I was so surprised to catch up with Susan again. She's the woman from Germany that I rode with a few days earlier in Caryville, but I couldn't keep up with her. She's traveling very light, and with my trailer, I just couldn't keep up to her fast pace!



We raced to the ferry landing, but ended up having to wait about an hour for the next ferry. It gave us a chance to snack on lunch as we waited for the 18 car ferry to arrive. I enjoyed the plesant ride and conversation with Susan as we crossed to the other side of Mobile Bay.



We met a man and wife team that is riding their tandem bike 12,000 miles around the U.S.A. They had just crossed the ferry and were headed East. Had a nice visit with them, also.

No comments: