Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sunday, June 22, 2008

McClure Meadow Ranger Station to Bear Creek Crossing. 20 miles! 867 miles total.

Early in the day, the first of two major fords of streams: the Evolution Creek crossing. I crossed early in the day ... that was a good thing. Another hiker told me to not cross where the trail comes to the creek, but to go up-stream about 30 or 40 yards and cross there. It seems that there is a big hole right where the trail crosses, and you'll be in deep if you don't go up steam. The crossing went well, and it was only up the just past my knees.

The stream was fairly swift and diffentily cold! 5 hikers were camping on the other side, and they had a nice fire going. I sat and talked to them a bit while I was putting my dry socks and shoes back on.

The next pass to cross was Seldon Pass, one of the easier passes on this stretch of the trail. The bugs seem to be getting worse! I stopped in the afternoon and set up my tent and took a short nap, then ate an early dinner. Then, I packed it all up and continued to hike until almost 8:00 pm. I don't usually hike that late, but it allowed me to get in 20 miles today! I made it all the way to the next stream crossing, so do the crossing first thing in the morning.

I decided to make a campfire tonight. I don't usually have a campfire, but there was already a fire ring and there was a lot of available wood. It was nice to have a small fire.

No comments: