Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Twin Lakes to Base of Mather pass. 11 miles, 816 miles total.

I slept very good last night. The ground was soft from a decomposed log and some bark dust. Its cooler this morning because I'm camped at about 10,000 feet or so. I have to climb to 12,000 feet later this morning to get over the next pass. It should warm up once the sun comes out.

The weather continues to be outstanding ... clear sky and no rain at all! I had about 4 or 5 stream crossings today where I stopped and exchanged my hiking shoes for my sandals. Its really nice to be able to hike in dry shoes and dry socks. A lot of other hikers just hike right through the water in the shoes and let them dry out as they are hiking. I'm not a big fan of hiking in wet shoes with wet socks.

The bugs seem to be getting worse because there is so much water for them to breed in! There have been a few times when I wanted to stop for some fresh water, but when I see so many bugs, I just keep hiking.

The trail was beautiful today. I don't know that the pictures really show just how great this trail is. I think today might have been the most beautiful yet on the whole trail.

A hiker by the name of Flop hiked with me for part of the afternoon, and we decided to camp at the some spot tonight. Tomorrow's pass is in 7 miles, and there is a lot of climbing to do before we get to the top. I'm going to work on getting an early start!

No comments: