Sunday, May 4, 2008

Friday, May 2, 2008

Wildlife Conservatory to East Fork of Mission Creek. 10 miles, 229 miles total.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Wildlife Conservatory. This is a "must do" stop as far as I'm concerned.

I was glad that I had my new sandals, as I used them to cross Whitewater Creek. It was cold and swift, about 6' wide or so. I also got some more water here.


Later in the day, I made it to the East Fork of Mission Creek (at mile 226) at noon. I took a little soak in the cool creek. I didn't need more water yet, and as it turned out, the trail follows this creek a long ways.

It was an extremely good day for me ... maybe my best day yet on the trail. The slope climbed slightly, but there were plenty of trees along the creek to keep it cool. The flowers were everywhere, and I didn't see another hiker until very late in the day. By the time I stopped for the day, I had crossed the creek 18 times.

I camped next to the creek, and sound of the bubbling water made it very easy to fall asleep. I'm starting to get low of food, so my next re-supply stop will be in Big Bear City.

I'm having an issue with my pack, as my right shoulder blade hurts once in a while. I'm not sure if it is the pack or if it might be due to using the treking poles. I plan to get rid of some of the items in my pack at Big Bear City, so that should help some. I did get rid of a few things at Whitewater Creek, and with my food supply low, my pack is actually lighter than it was a few days ago.

In several places along the trail, the entire hillside was covered in dark purple flowers. I'm not sure the photo will do it justice. (I wish that I could up-load some of my photos here, but this computer does not have a USB jack.)

No comments: