Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Van Duzen Road (Big Bear Lake) to Holcomb Creek. 10 miles, 284 miles total.

This is Gracen from the Big Bear Lake Mountain Resort Hostel (909) 866-8900. He's a wonderful host, and will come and pick you up at the trailhead if you call him.





I was able to hitch a ride with a local resident named John back to Van Duzer Road to get back on the trail. I got to the trail at about noon, so I didn't get as early a start as I would have liked. Even though I was at the Big Bear Lake Resort Hostel for 3 nights, it realy was only one zero day hiking-wise.

Today's hike took me through a large burn ... about 9 miles or so. There was a detour by the forest service that would have been 17 miles on old dirt roads. I'm glad I didn't take the detour. The sign indicated that it was ok to stay on the trail, you just can't camp in this section. As soon as I got to the other side of the detour, I camped at the first decent place I could find. I thought the burned area would last for ever! I believe this burn was from last year.

No comments: