Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Little Jimmy Campground to Cooper Canyon Camp. 12 miles, 396 miles total.



It was very windy today ... sometimes the wind is so strong that it is difficult to breathe and I feel like the wind might blow me off the trail. I could hear the wind in the night, blowing the tops of the trees, but my tent didn't blow around too bad.

The trail seems to stay on the crestline most of the time ... I guess that's why the call it the Pacific CREST Trail and not the Pacific VALLEY Trail or the Pacific COAST Trail! I think I'm ready to have the trail go to a lower elevation, but once I reach the Serra Mountains, I'll really be up in the sky!

I lost the trail for most of the afternoon. I really didn't know for sure where I was. The trail I was following was just a scant trail, but I could tell that others had hiked it recently, so I pressed on, climbing every little peak in sight, it seemed. Eventually, I knew that I had to cross the Burkhart Trail, and that I could take this trail back to the PCT. Sure enough, that's what I did.

There was a sign saying that part of the PCT was closed to protect the breeding gournds for the Yellow Legged Frogs, so I guess it was a good thing that I was on a different trail anyway.

I camped at a very nice location near a creek, and had a nice big dinner. I have to eat more food to help make my pack lighter!

No comments: