Sunday, May 4, 2008

Saturday, April 26, 2008

At Lake Morena Campground. Zero Day.

It seems a little like I'm spending a lot of time here at the Kick-Off. Some of the other hikers that I was hiking with will be way down the trail ... I'm not sure if I'll ever catch up with them again. At times I wish that I were back on the trail, but I'm also meeting a lot of people and tuning up my gear just a bit. I bought some treking poles, and I think I'll like them. I also attended a session on using an ice axe and crampons. It was very interesting and I think I learned some valuable information.

I helped cook hamburgers for dinner. There were about 10 BBQ Grills cooking burgers as fast as we could to keep up. In the evening, Eric Ryback showed slides and gave a presentation. In about 1971, at the age of 18, Eric hikes Southbound on what would become the Pacific Crest Trail. Although some claim that he took rides in some places, it doesn't matter to me, and he will be a hero in my mind. He got himself from Canada to Mexico with a very heavy pack and little help in the form of guide books, maps, and trail angels!

No comments: