Monday, March 10, 2008

Friday, March 7, 2008

Zero Day in San Antonio, TX. My first true zero day on this trip! My bike in still in the shop.

The day started with Ken at the Del Webb Club House for a Men's Breakfast. There was a good turnout, and the local Fire Chief and several of his paid and volunteer staff where there as well. The food was great, and Ken introduced me to several of his neighbors. I enjoyed the experience.



Then, I went to the Alamo with Ken while Karen stayed home to get ready for a Woman's Retreat with several members of her church. They were headed to Comfort, TX for the weekend.

I had a very nice time touring in San Antonio. The Alamo was smaller than I thought it would be, and it was surrounded by lots of tall buildings and hotels in the downtown area.


The RiverWalk area near the Alamo was also very interesting to visit. It was warm and sunny, and it was a great day to be a tourist in San Antonio. I took a lot of pictures, but I'm having some problems up-loading them, so I'll add them later. Along the river are all kinds of sidewalk cafe shops, t-shirt shops, and hotels. They have these small boats that you can ride on, and there are sidewalks on both sides so you can easily walk along the river.

Next, I took a city bus out to the San Jose Mission. The have an old church there, and the mission grounds are a lot like they were in the 1800's when they were built. From the San Jose Mission, I hiked about 6 miles back to downtown to the Alamo.

I also went to the Central Library to check my e-mail.

Back at the Del Webb Country Club, Ken took me to a special event being hosted by a local group of doctors that are building a new hospital in the area. They had very good Mexican food and drinks. Ken introduced me to several more of his friends and neighbors. I had fun showing off my "biker" tan on my hands. It was a fun evening.

No comments: