Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Easter Sunday

Seirra Blanca, TX to El Paso, TX. 77 miles, 2171 miles total.

I woke up at 1:00 a.m. with very strong winds blowing the tent from side to side. I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep with all the wind, so I packed up as best I could and started on my way. There was a full moon out, and very little traffic, so it really wasn't too bad to be riding at night. After about 10 miles, I came to truck stop. I stayed in the lobby / TV lounge until the restaurant opened at 6:00 a.m. It was still windy and cold out, but after a nice breakfast, I started riding again. The route left the interstate at the truck stop and headed on a very narrow road. The up-side was that there wasn't any traffic at all!

After a short ride, I met a couple from Belgium ... Rita and Harry. They've traveled all over the world! They were very interesting, and their English was very good. They were also traveling East to Florida.

When I got closer to El Paso, I decided to call Jesus, the guy I met in Valentine, Texas. He said I could stay at his house when I was in El Paso. Some of his kids were staying with their grandparents for Spring Break, and his wife and son had traveled to San Antonio, so he was all alone. We went for a great Mexican Dinner at a very nice market called "Ranch Market". His Dad also stopped by, so it was a very nice time there. We also did a short driving tour of El Paso at night. It was really something to see all the night lights from the border town (Mexico).



I'll get an early start in the morning ... Jesus has to leave for work at 7:30 a.m.

1 comment:

jayson said...

Hey Steve...you continue to meet such nice people...and I'm sure you feel they are blessing you as you are them....not great english, but you know what i mean.....keep on the God Path....there is no other Path.
Jayson