Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Long Fellow, TX to Marathon, Tx. 33 Miles, 1914 miles total.

Too windy to ride today. The wind was blowing me across the highway. Even walking was difficult, as the wind was taking my breath away, it was so strong. It was cold, too.

After about 5 miles of riding and walking, a Texas DOT work truck circled back and stopped to ask if I needed a ride to Marathon. I wasn't going to take it, but I didn't want to walk 30 miles, either, so I decided it would be a good idea to take them up on their offer.

The town was completely booked due to it being Spring Break, but there was some spaces at the RV Park for tents, so I decided to stay there. I Gage Hotel rented rooms for about $150 per night, but even they were full. Besides, that's too much for my budget! I paid $10 for my tent site, and that included a warm shower and a nice fireplace in the courtyard where a small handful of us sat and talked for a couple of hours in the evening. I also had time to fix a flat tire, sew a button back on my shorts, and to repair my broken tent pole. Duct tape can fix anything!



The wind died down by sunset, however, the tempature dropped down to 30 degrees overnight. I was a little cool at times, but not too bad. It should be a good ride to Alpine. About 30 miles with just a few hills.

No comments: