Monday, March 10, 2008

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Martindale, TX to New Braunfels, TX. 30 miles, 1525 miles total.

It was very cold today, and it was raining to start out, very windy with head winds and cross winds, thunder and lightening. Some of the cross winds were so strong that they blew me and the bike from side to side.

I rode from Martindale to Zorn, TX and stopped for lunch in a fun country store / restaurant. It was hard to get going again, but I knew that I had to. I pressed on to New Braunfels, TX. I was able to reach Ken McGinnis by phone, and he said that he would bring his truck and pick me up at about 3:00 p.m. I kept riding until a very strong gust of wind started to blow me off the road, so I waited at a Shell Gas Station. Not too long later, Ken arrived. It was about 40 miles back to his house just West of San Antonio. There was a very hard shower right as he arrived.

On our way to his house, we stopped in Helotes, TX at Hank's bike shop. My bike really needed to be tuned up, as the rear shifter was not staying in gear, and it was starting to affect my pedaling, especially on the up-hill sections.

Ken and Karen prepared a wonderful BBQ Pork Dinner, and Deirdre also joined us. It was a terrific evening, and I slept very well in their beautiful house. They have invited me to stay with them for a few days, so I'll do some site seeing in San Antonio while I wait for my bike work to be finished. I'm due for a rest, and I can't think of any place I'd rather be right now.

No comments: