Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Navasota, TX to Washington, TX. 7 miles, 1,350 miles total. I call today a zero day, even though I did ride 7 miles to get to the State Park in the very small town of Washington. They had a big celebration going on there, with lots of food venders, visitors, reenactments of the Texas Army, museum tours, and more. One of the Texas Army members was Private Bruce from North of Dallas, Texas: This shot is of the commander, John Martin and Doc, next to their tent: This shows another angle of the camp they had set up: In a small building next to their camp area, was a kitchen building where they made a wonderful dinner on Saturday Night, including a spit roasted turkey, baked beans, t-bone steaks, corn on the cob, and a lot more! Great food, and since they were all so interested in my trip, they insisted that I stay and eat dinner with them. I had a wonderful time there, and enjoyed it so much that I think I'd like to join a similar group when I get home to Oregon in October.

The Texas Army members all had muskets and riffles, and about once per hour, would do a demonstration of firing their weapons. It was really exciting to see all the different activities going on. I camped near their camp for the night, and ate breakfast with them the next morning. I even made some dutch oven bisquits with Oregon Grown strawberry jam and a cheese cake with Oregon Cherries the night before. It was a great event, and I was so lucky to have seen it all! Here's a photo of another soilder, called a Buffalo Fighter, showing some of his weapons: I'm hoping that Bruce and his wife will come to Sisters, Oregon in December for my "End of the Journey" celebration. It's going to be a fun time in Sisters!

No comments: