Friday, March 28, 2008

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Derry, NM to Kingston, NM. 41 miles, 2324 miles total.

I had a very nice breakfast at a local hang-out / meeting spot in Arrey, NM. It was fun to hear the local buzz and to talk to some of the farmers. There are a wide variety of crops in the area, but pecans are really popular. One farmer gave me a large bag of pecans (no, not more weight to carry in my trailer!)

The food was very good, and it was a great day for riding. The weather has been nice and sunny, cool in the mornings but not too hot in the afternoons.

It was a gradual up hill ride to the town of Hillsboro. This was a very interesting town, with a lot of little shops and a great post office. However, EVERYTNING in the town closes at 3:00 pm, and I didn't get there intil about 4:00, so I didn't really get to see in any of the shops.

I decided to keep on riding, and just at the edge of town, I caught a ride from Larry Brooks. He was headed to his property in Kingston. Normally, I don't like to ask for a ride, but I knew that there were a lot of big hills ahead of me, and my left knee was hurting a little. He gave me a 9 mile ride to Kingston.

At his property, he's building a 12' x 12' pump house with staw bales. I helped him unload his materials, then we drove around the small town, meeting some of the residents there. It was a great place to stay. I put my tent up next to his 5th wheel. Thanks for lift, Larry!

No comments: